When it comes to practicing self-love, there are lots of ways to go about it. A great way to start your self-love journey is by using positive affirmations. In case you’ve never heard of them before, positive affirmations, in other words, are simply positive statements that challenge negative and unhelpful thoughts by repeatedly inspiring positive feelings, thoughts and attitudes.
Why should you use positive affirmations?
There are lots of reasons you can use positive affirmations. Whether you’re struggling with college, career, relationships, or getting out of your comfort zone, positive affirmations are a great tool to help you out when you’re feeling down. But you can also use them when you’re feeling good and just want to make a few little tweaks to your life like wanting to feel a little more confident. No matter how you’re feeling though, there are plenty of scientific benefits of positive affirmations like:
- Less stress and tension
- Improved resilience
- Improved academic achievement (better grades…heck yes)
- More willing to make positive changes in your life
- Better able to create positive narratives about yourself
- Improved anxiety and depression (not a cure or a substitute but can help)
So, how do you use positive affirmations?
Well, to start, the big thing is consistency. SImilar to doing the same exercises at the gym over and over again to build specific muscles, repeating positive affirmations on a regular basis trains and rewires your brain until it becomes your new reality. As a result, this is why it’s so important to focus on turning positive affirmations into a habit that you can a part of your weekly schedule.
When starting out, take a few minutes out of our schedule twice a day to practice positive affirmations. This could be when you first wake up in the morning and when you first go to bed, but any time of day is good as long as it’s working for you. Then either write your positive affirmations down with pen and paper or say them out loud in front of a mirror. You could even try bundling it with another habit you already do to kill two birds one stone. For example, you could practice your affirmations while putting on makeup. For every positive affirmation, say it or write it ten times and try to stay in the moment and focus on the words.
The big thing with positive affirmations is to cut yourself some slack. Even though it would be absolutely magical if positive affirmations instantly work and fixed all your problems, the truth is, it can take time. But if you stick with it and practice on a regular basis, you will start to notice results.
So, what positive affirmations should you say to yourself every day? Well, that’s the fun part, it’s really up to you! Here is a list of 100 positive affirmations you can use to help you with everything from loving your body to feeling good about school to coping with anxiety and depression to embracing your fabulous introvert status.
100 positive affirmations to get you started:
Affirmations for self-love:
- I love me for me.
- I believe in myself.
- I matter.
- I am enough.
- I am a badass.
- I am loved.
- I am my own superhero.
- I am worthy of good things.
- I am perfect exactly as I am.
- I deserve the best.
- I can do anything I put my mind to.
- I am free to create the life I want.
- I am amazing.
- I am strong, I am powerful.
- I am smart, I am intelligent.
- I love myself for who I am.
- I will stop being sorry for who I am.
- My needs and wants matter.
- My contributions to the world are valuable and important.
- I will not compare myself to others.
- I do not need other people to be happy.
- Everything I need is within me.
- I am grateful for all that I have.
- I love myself fully.
- I deserve to be happy.
- I fully embrace my uniqueness.
Affirmations to feel more confident:
- I am in charge of my own life.
- It’s my time to shine.
- I have confidence in my skills and abilities.
- I become more confident every single day.
- I feel more secure with who I am.
- I don’t have to be like everyone else.
- I am not what others think of me.
- Only I define myself.
- Each day I care less what people say or think about me.
- I have made it this far, I won’t stop now.
- I’m confident and comfortable in my own skin.
Affirmations for body positivity:
- I am beautiful inside and out.
- My body is perfect exactly as it is.
- My body is a vessel for my awesomeness.
- My body can do amazing things.
- The number on the scale is just a number, it doesn’t define my worth.
- My clothing size is just a number, it doesn’t define my worth.
- No one has the power to make me feel bad about myself without my permission.
Affirmations for academic & career success:
- I will achieve all my goals.
- I’m on top of all my work.
- Doors are opening up for me.
- I can find a solution to any of my problems.
- It’s my time, I’m ready for the next step in my career.
- I am worthy of success in school/in my career.
- There are lots of great opportunities open to me.
- Every no for my wrong job takes me closer to my right job.
- I am confident, calm and prepared in exams/job interviews.
- I can balance my time between work and fun.
- I am committed to creating my career on my terms.
- I am achieving and will continue to achieve my academic/career goals.
- My career is a journey, not a destination. Only I am in control of my career’s journey.
- The success of others will not make me jealous. My time will come.
- I believe in my potential and I believe I can be successful.
Affirmations for friendships & relationships:
- I am worthy of love.
- I deserve compassion and respect.
- I am blessed with wonderful family and friends.
- I have people I love and people who love me.
- My heart is open and I’m ready for a new partner.
- I am beautiful and desirable.
- I’m content with my physical appearance.
- I know I don’t need a partner to feel complete. I complete me.
- I deserve to find a partner who treats me with respect.
- I am strong enough to wait for people who will understand and love me for me.
Affirmations for anxiety & depression:
- I am in control of my life and emotions.
- My strength is stronger than my anxiety.
- I feel inner peace throughout my body.
- I exhale anxiety and inhale joy.
- I choose to be calm and focused, even during stressful times.
- I choose hope over fear.
- Everything will work out for me.
- My anxiety doesn’t define me.
- I conquer all my fears, bit by bit.
- I am doing the best I can.
- My strength is stronger than my depression.
- My negative thoughts are just that…thoughts.
- Negative thoughts only have the power I give them.
- I choose to say kind things about myself.
- I choose to do kind things for myself.
- This won’t last forever and I will come out stronger.
- I am resilient.
- My depression doesn’t define me.
- I’m okay with where I am right now.
Affirmations for embracing your introvert awesomeness:
- I enjoy meeting new people.
- People enjoy my company.
- My opinion matters just as much as everybody else’s.
- I let my personality shine through when I meet new people.
- There is nothing wrong with saying “no.”
- It’s okay that I enjoy my own company over the company of others.
- I feel completely comfortable among a group of people.
- I don’t feel intimidated by other people anymore.
- I don’t have to prove anything to anyone else. I’m enough.
- I am happy with who I am and the way my life is going.
To wrap things up:
Positive affirmations are a great way to start your self-love journey and challenge your hurtful negative self-talk. So, to sum it all up, whether you’re feeling down or at your best, positive affirmations can work for you no matter what you’re going through and no matter what you want to focus on.
Do you have any positive affirmations that you want to try? Share in the comments, we’d love to hear!